24 April 2015

Bark

"Not only do we come in contact with it constantly in our daily lives, from cinnamon to cork to chewing gum to rubber, but it’s also a hauntingly beautiful, textured piece of living matter that looks like the skin of some magnificent mythical dragon. French photographer Cedric Pollet travels the world to capture this beauty and has documented it in his gorgeous new book, Bark: An Intimate Look at the World’s Trees.
This book is not in our library system; I'll bet it is well worth a read.  The embedded photos show the bark of the ocotillo tree, a Mindonoan gum, and a type of manzanita. My favorite bark is that of the river birch.

Text and photos from Brain Pickings, via Dark Roasted Blend.

(Reposted from 2011 for Arbor Day 2015) 

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures. They're so vivid I feel I could reach out and touch the trees. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked through that whole book. It is FANTASTIC. Totally recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reeling. Major delirious color bumrush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lets see ... Osage Orange, some variety of Eucalyptus and a Madrone, seen them all growing here in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have TONS of river birches here in the Boise area ~ I love their bark too ~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...